Panmunjeom is located in the Joint Security Area,
which is in the demilitarized zone, 50 km north
from Seoul and 10 km east from the city of Gaeseong.
This place is most well-known for the peace talks
that were held here on October 25, 1951 and was
designated as the Joint Security Area on July
27, 1953 when the armistice agreement was igned.
Once used as a management office, Panmunjeom has
been used as now a conference room since the Red
Cross held an international conference here on
September 20, 1971.
It is the only place where North Koreans and South
Koreans can come in contact on a daily basis and
make efforts towards the peace of Korea.
The 3rd Tunnel was discovered on October 17, 1978.
It is located 52km from Seoul.
Approximately 10,000 soldiers can move through
this tunnel in one hour.
When this tunnel was discovered, North Koreans
insisted steadfastly that it was made by South
Koreans to invade North Korea, but this proved
to be false.
Mt. Dora Observation Platform is located nearby
the 3rd Tunnel.
From this observation platform, North Korean military
personnel are visible, and so are the city of
Gaeseong and the Geumgangsan Diamond Mountains.
located 7 km from the Military Demarcation Line,
is now at the forefront of tourism related to
the Korean Conflict.
It was built in 1972 with the hope that someday
unification would be possible.
Three-storied Imjingak is surrounded by several
Monuments, Unification Park and North Korea Center.
400 kinds of photos and documents showing the
stark reality of North Korea are displayed in
the North Korea Center of Unification Board. Outside
Imjingak, there are 12 kinds of tanks and crafts
on display that were used during the Korean Conflict.
Mangbaedan, which stands opposite of Imjingak,
is famous for the place where people from North
Korea visit and perform ancestral rites by bowing
toward their hometown every New Years Day and
Chuseok. The Bridge of the Freedom, South Koreans
crossed when they came back to their mother country
from North Korea, stands behind Mangbaedan.
In front of Imjingak, there is the Gyeongui Train
Line which was destroyed during the Korean Conflict
in 1950. It has been under construction since
Every year many events for unification are held
Imjingak is now one of the famous tourist spots
for foreigners in Gyeonggi-do Province because
it is possible to visit without going through
any security check points.
The Odusan Unification Observatory opened to the
public in 1992.
It¡¯s one of the national tourist spot where foreigners
like to visit to experience the stark reality
of the divided Peninsula. From this Observation
Platform, Songaksan Diamond Mountains in the city
of Gyeseongi and 63 Building in Seoul are visible.
This Observatory has five floors above ground
and one underground. Various photos and computerized
screens showing the stark reality of North Korea
are displayed on first and second floor. Products
from North Korea can be purchased.